A 33-year-old Algerian man was charged on Wednesday with attempted murder and other crimes after an arson attack on a synagogue in southern France last week, prosecutors said.
Officials said the man had expressed deep hatred of Jews and told investigators that he had acted to “support the Palestinian cause.” But he denied that he had intended to cause harm, France’s national antiterrorism prosecutor’s office said in a statement issued Wednesday.
In the attack early on Saturday morning, several fires were set at the Beth Yaacov synagogue in La Grande Motte, a resort town on the southern coast of France.
Read Full Article »